The official WorkerAnts’ Colony
What is #GivingTuesday™? It is an idea, a movement, a goal to help change the world by celebrating generosity and dedicating one day a year to giving back. #GivingTuesday seeks to inspire all of us to give of ourselves- whether it is time or resources – so that we can make the world a better place.
On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 people in over 46 countries will be joining together to give back. They will be giving in a variety of ways. Some organizations are doing relays or fundraisers; some people are collecting goods or organizing work days. Friends, family and students are gathering to help people in their community by mowing lawns or delivering food. What are you going to do? Below is a list of some things you can do.
If you are a charity or other organization:
- Arrange an event! So far we have seen organizations arrange concerts, dinners, blood drives, volunteer days, and even a knit-a-thon. There are over 11,600 partners in the US alone!
- Put the #GivingTuesday logo on your site.
- Host a webinar to talk to people about a topic relevant to your cause.
If you are an individual:
- Check out the #GivingTuesday site for your country to find a list of organizations that are participating and have activities. You can easily link to them here http://www.givingtuesday.org/global.
- If your country doesn’t have a formal website or you just don’t see something you like, start something! You can work with friends, family and co-workers to find a local project or organization that needs assistance. Many groups would be thrilled to have you reach out to arrange an event. You can do a fundraiser or help with a specific need.
If you want to donate:
- That is great! ANY organization will be happy to have you donate, but for this one day try finding a specific charity that is participating in #GivingTuesday. You can find a list on your country’s website (all country websites are linked through the main site at http://www.givingtuesday.org).
- Many online companies like AmazonSmile.com and Generous Shopper give you the ability to make sure that a portion of the proceeds on all your purchases are donated to the charity of your choice. Other sites allow you to provide small donations or even clothing donations online. You can find organizations that give back to charity on the WorkerAnts.com Resources /Charitable Giving page.
#GivingTuesday was started in 2012 by the 92nd Street Y in an effort to help people focus on giving back by creating a holiday to rival Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Since 2012 it has grown into a global movement with 10 international websites, 46 participating countries and a partnership with the United Nations Development Programme. Join us in supporting this global movement to help improve our world.